The After-School for Elementary and Middle School Program
After-school for Elementary and Middle School Students serves 200 students, kindergarten through 8th grade, Monday through Friday from E. Rivers Elementary School, Bolton Academy Elementary School, and Sutton Middle School. The Bolton Academy and Sutton Middle School modules take place at Trinity Presbyterian Church, except on Mondays, when the elementary school meets at St. Anne’s Episcopal Church. The E. Rivers Elementary module takes place every day at Agape.
Agape provides a supervised, safe haven at a time of day when teen crime and teen pregnancy spike among unsupervised youths. Students and mentors are often paired in elementary school and the pairing may last through high school graduation. The average Agape middle school student has been enrolled at Agape for six years, a big opportunity to influence behavior and perspective.
The After-school for Elementary and Middle School Program include tutoring, mentoring and homework assistance, character development and accountability, educational and recreational activities and field trips, Georgia Milestone Prep, physical fitness and family involvement, and a healthy dinner each day.
After homework, each student is fed a healthy, nutritious dinner and brought home to their doorstep. The students in this program are 83% Hispanic / Latino and 17% African American. 100% of the students served to qualify for free or reduced lunch at school as per Atlanta Public Schools.
Recent outcomes are as follows:
- 95% of the students mastered the material and advanced to the next grade level
- 64% of the students have a grade point average of 3.0 or better
- 55% of the students were involved in extracurricular activities including boy scouts, girl scouts, basketball, football, band and dance team.
What separates Agape is the depth of commitment to each student:
- At the consent of their parents, Agape receives each child’s report cards and progress reports, monitoring each child’s progress and facilitating each child’s educational goals.
- Each week, 45 to 50 committed volunteers meet the children for one hour each week for tutoring, homework assistance and long term positive relationships.
- Agape provides free transportation on Agape buses from school to the program and from the program to their doorstep each day. All programs are provided free of charge for students enrolled in our programs.
- Agape provides parents free transportation to and from PTSA meetings to ensure attendance and parental involvement.
- At the end of each day each student receives a hot, nutritious dinner and then are taken home to their family.
Want to be an Agape Homework Buddy and commit one hour each week to touching a child’s life in a positive way?
Please contact Dominique Tate (Education/Volunteer Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a new or existing adult or youth volunteer interested in volunteering! Click here to complete your volunteer registration form online!
AGAPE AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM CLOSINGS
*No Agape after-school program on days that Atlanta Public Schools are closed
- August 30, 2017 – Adult Volunteer Orientation (email email@example.com for more information)
- September 7, 2017 – Adult Volunteer Orientation (email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information)
- September 11, 2017 – Volunteers’ First Day of Agape Programs
- October 9-13, 2017 – No School
- November 7, 2017 – No School
- November 17, 2017 – Thanksgiving
- November 20-24, 2017 – No School
- December 22-29, 2017 – No School
- January 1-5, 2018 – No School
- January 15, 2018 – No School
- February 19-23, 2018 – No School
- March 19, 2018 – No School
- March 30, 2018 – Good Friday
- April 2-6, 2018 – No School
- May 25, 2018 – Volunteers’ Last Day of Agape Programs
Holidays, School Closings, and Closings Due to Inclement Weather – Agape observes all Atlanta Public School (APS) System closing dates and some state and federal holidays. Agape will notify staff and volunteers when Agape is closed by email and text message in cases of inclement weather.